Cheap DIY Custom Molded Ear Plugs
AnyShape is a unique material that can be used to create unique things.
During a workshop, we realized that you can make cheap molded ear plugs using 5 grams of AnyShape. In just a few minutes you can make your own Do-It-Yourself ear plugs for less than 50 DKK. Normally a pair of molded ear plugs costs more than 1000 DKK.
The ear plugs are estimated to have an even suppression of about 18dB.
The method is very straightforward:
- Heat about 3 grams of Soft Shape (71 balls) in boiling water for about 30 seconds. By Soft Shape Here.
- Form the lump in the shape of a cone and place the pointy end in your ear - Carefully!
- Let the ear plug cool down for about 5-10 minutes before you take it out.
A few quotes from our workshop:
At first I was sceptical, but now I'm really impressed. Mikkel
It feels very wellness-like to have in your ear. Jesper
Thanks to everyone who participated in the workshop.
And thanks to Sandra who used the DIY ear plugs at SmukFest 2015.
Watch this video to see how you make these DIY Custom Molded Ear Plugs (It is in Danish):
A few good tips:
- If the ear plug gets too long it may be uncomfortable to put in your ear again. Therefore, they should not be longer than the ones in the picture above.
- Do not push the warm Soft Shape too hard into your ear. Rather try carefully a few times until you get the desired shape. Remember you can reheat the Soft Shape as many times as you want ;-).
- In our experience, it is easier to make these DIY ear plugs using Soft Shape, as it is easier to get the desired shape of the ear plug using Soft Shape.
- It may be a good idea to make a little handle on your ear plugs, as this makes it easier to handle them.
- Give each earplug a different color, so you can tell the difference between left and right.
The first time you make an ear plug out of AnyShape we recommend that you take out the AnyShape relatively fast (after about 1 minute) to be able to control if you have put the AnyShape into your ear correctly. Not too long, but not too short. This method does require that you start over, but you avoid the potential discomfort of possibly putting the AnyShape too far into your ear.
It should not at any time be uncomfortable to put an ear plug into or take it out of your ear or to wear it in your ear. If you experience discomfort, then take the ear plug out and heat the AnyShape again and make a new one. Otherwise stop using the ear plug.
REMEMBER! AnyShape ApS is not responsible for how you use our products, so take care of yourself.